Did you know that you can use your flex spending account (FSA) or health savings account (HSA) spending dollars to purchase prescription eyeglasses, prescription contact lenses and prescription sunglasses? RX glasses and contacts are eligible expenses. These funds can be used for prescription eyewear, regardless of whether or not you have vision insurance.
FSA (Flexible Savings Account)
- All of your FSA funds for the entire year are available January 1st.
- FSA funds usually expire by Dec 31st or by March 15th.
- You may be able to carry $500 of unused FSA funds from the previous year depending on your employer.
HSA (Health Savings Account)
- You have to be enrolled in a high-deductible plan (minimum of $1,250 for an individual) to be eligible for a health savings account.
- HSA funds are accrued throughout the calendar year.
- An individual can contribute up to $3,300 a year, and sometimes your employer will make a contribution to the account, just like with a 401(k).
- FSA/HSA funds can be used to purchase prescription eyewear and/or frames.
- FSA/HSA funds can be used whether you have vision insurance or not.
How do I use my FSA or HSA dollars to purchase eyewear on glass + lens?
If you have an FSA or HSA debit card, you can enter that card's information at check-out, just like you would a normal credit card. If you do not have an FSA or HSA debit card, you will have to make your purchase using another credit card and seek reimbursement directly from your FSA or HSA provider. Most FSA or HSA providers will require you to submit a reimbursement form along with an itemized receipt or invoice.
What items qualify as FSA or HSA eligible expenses?
Your FSA or HSA typically covers expenses like prescription drugs, doctor visits and, of course, prescription eyewear! See the list below to find out if your prescription eyewear is covered.
- Eyeglasses with or without lenses (including Readers)
- Prescription sunglasses
- Sunglasses (only if medically necessary and prescribed by a physician)
- Contact lenses and related cleaning/storage solutions